Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Finished project: LEGO building tray + storage chest

Description:

This is of my own design, whether that's good or bad, I had fun making it. Two boys that love LEGOs had birthdays in July. So I decided to build a tray with green LEGO baseplates that attaches to a chest for some storage.


The tray is red oak, the case is ash. There are brass locking latches on the ends to protect special projects inside from destructive brothers.


I took the opportunity to pick up the Miller dowel miniX at Rockler & put walnut dowels in the tray butt joints to jazz it up a little. This was my first time using box joints in a project. They were made on the table saw with a stacked dado set & homemade jig. The finish is a few coats of gloss wipe-on poly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason W. said...

I'm not comfortable with you using all this shop jargon. Ever since you corrected me with the "that's not dirt, that's soil" back in 1996 I knew that you were up to secret mid-western things that few can truely understand. Looks like I was right.

Nice work by the way. Still, I'd really like to see you push the envelope a little and create a mahogany Star Destroyer as a counter-point to Mike's project. It could be an heir-loom-quality Star Destroyer- one with chamfered biscuits and quartersawn muntin. Turn child missile saftey off and hold on to your butt hinges. Just my advice.

8/17/2006 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home